Masonic Building, 45 North Street
Meetings: 1st Monday of each month
Note: the Globe lodge is listed here because it now meets in Dalton.
Masons have been recognized in the Hinsdale area since 1801. At one time Hinsdale was part of Partridgefield and the first lodge in the vicinity was Sincerity Lodge of Partridgefield. Meetings were held in Moody's Tavern on Maple Street in what is now the home of the Zeitler family.
In 1869 dispensation was given by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to organize Globe Lodge which was chartered in 1870. Globe's jurisdiction included Dalton, Windsor, Cummington, Peru, Washington, Becket and Hinsdale.
Housed in the Birmingham Block, Hinsdale, for the first four years, the lodge moved to the Robinson Block in 1870 and remained there for 127 years until 1997, when the building was remodeled by a new owner. Globe Lodge then moved to the Masonic Building at 45 North Street, Dalton.
Long active in the civic life of the region, members have served as selectmen, fire and police chief, school committee and assessor. Globe Lodge is a prime supporter of the Hinsdale Food Pantry which one of its members, a former prisoner of war, was instrumental in organizing and which serves families in the central Berkshire district.
Globe has introduced the Childhood Identification Program (CHIP), wherein youngsters up to age 18 are interviewed on video tape, and a fingerprint, tooth imprint, and DNA swab are taken and given to parents for use in case of disappearance.
Master: William J. Corbett III of Hinsdale
Senior Warden: Cortney Wheeler of Cummington
Junior Warden: Miguel A. Lopez of Hinsdale
Secretary: Edward A. Goddard