(mostly) Social Activities
The COA has something for everyone! This section covers regularly-occurring activities ranging from bridge to help with your taxes. Some activities are only in the initial planning stages, and more info will be posted as they develop. Many one-time-only activities are also scheduled - see Calendars. Changes and highlights are also published on Mondays in the Senior Bulletin Board in the Berkshires section of the Berkshire Eagle.
**NOTE** : If you are interested in any of the current or proposed activities, please call the COA at 684-2000 to add your name/phone/email to a new database we're building. You may also email the COA at firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include your name and phone and use the subject "Senior Center program inquiry" so your message won't get lost in spam! You will then be contacted by the activity's sponsor with more details or information about meetings. Sponsors will also be posting specific event info at the Senior Center.
Unless otherwise noted, all take place in the new Senior Center. See the Calendar for latest info. (fee) indicates there is a fee per class, payable directly to the instructor.
- Healthy Osteo Exercise normally meets 3 times weekly: Tuesdays 10-11:30AM, Tuesdays 12:30-2:00 and Thursdays 10AM-11:30. See Health&Wellness page for more info.
- Shake Your Soul Yogadance meets Wednesdays 10-11AM. (fee)
- Tai Chi meets Thursdays at 1:30; classes are taught by certified instructor Sher Mindermann. (fee)
- Line Dancing meets Mondays 10-11AM, classes are led by Cheryl Wendling (fee)
Cards, other table games
- Bridge: this card group meets from 1-4PM on Thursdays.
- Pitch - card players meet Fridays from 9:30-12:00 AM
- Cribbage is played on Wednesdays from 9:30-11. Beginners are welcome!
Arts & Crafts
- Knitting/crocheting group meets Tuesdays from 1-3PM; group is organized by Helga Knappe.
- Oil Painting class is offered on Tuesdays from 12:30-3PM (fee)
- Quilting Workshop meets Thursdays from 10AM-3PM; class is led by Maureen Michell.
- Art class is offered on Mondays from 1:00-3:00PM with artist Kathering Stocking-Koza (fee). Offering instruction in drawing, portraiture, acrylic painting, watercolor or pastels.
- Adult Coloring Club meets on Mondays from 1-2PM, There is no charge to participate and all materials are provided.
- Chalk Drawing Classes now being offered periodically, check the calendar for dates and time. This class is taught by artist Dee Sabean.
- Triad is a collaborative program with local law enforcement and seniors that meets on third Wednesdays at 1PM.
- Movie Night is the 2nd & 4th Thursday of every month from 6:00-8:00. The cost is $2.00 and popcorn is provided. The featured movies can be found on our monthly calendar.
- Bridges Together Senior volunteers participate in a 6 week curriculum with local elementary school students in the classroom to "bridge" the generations.
- Brunch With TED (talk) Quarterly showings of TED Talks on various topics paired with a potluck brunch.
Currently under development (non-inclusive list):
- Cooking talks & demos;
- Book Club;
Special Annual events:
- Local veterans appreciation luncheon is held in November.
- Holiday Party is celebrated in December and sponsored by Elder Services.
- AARP Tax Aid: Volunteers assist area residents with their federal and state tax returns.
- 90th Birthday Party Every August we throw a birthday party for Dalton's most senior seniors!