During the period of 1873 through 1883 the town of Dalton experienced rapid growth. The few wells in town could not keep up with the demand for water for drinking and fire protection (seven paper-making mills in town were lost to fire during this period). Lt. Governor Byron Weston, Zenas Crane Jr. and other leading citizens examined the area for new sources and ways to supply water. The Dalton Fire District was organized at a town meeting on February 25, 1884, a charter was granted by the Legislature April 7, 1884 and on the 21st of the same month the town voted to accept it. The District provides fire protection to all of the town and water supply to most of the town.
Governance and Composition
The District is governed by the Board of Water Commissioners. It comprises two departments: the Fire Department and the Water Department. The Fire Department is funded by a fire district tax based on real estate values. The Water Department is funded through user fees. The District Main Offices are in the Fire Station. Basic information for both are in subsections at left.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Last updated 6/26/2009