The Office of Town Clerk is considered the center of town government and is a major source of information to the residents of the Town of Dalton. Most Town Clerk activities are listed below; see subsections at left for others.
The Town Clerk keeps all Town records, such as birth and death records for all residents, marriage records for those who apply for their marriage license in the Town of Dalton, minutes of town meetings and election results, and appointments to and resignations from all town boards and committees.
The Town Clerk maintains Zoning Bylaws, General Bylaws, Traffic Rules and Regulations.
The Town Clerk also:
- records and certifies all official actions of the town including Town Meeting legislation and appropriations, Planning and Zoning, Board decisions;
- signs all notes for borrowing;
- keeps the Town Seal;
- submits all General and Zoning Bylaws to the Attorney General for approval;
- administers qualifying oaths to all elected and appointed officials and keeps all officials informed of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws;
- records and posts notices of all Town Board and Committee meetings in compliance with the open meeting law;
- collects District Court fines for non-criminal disposition, not limited to but including animal control, junk car, false alarm, snow & ice removal and municipal noise control violations, as required by Chapter 40, Section 21D of Massachusetts General Laws;
You may also contact the Town Clerk for information about:
- licenses, certificates, professional registrations;
- voter registration and election info;
- Town Meetings;
- Planning Board filings and decisions;
- Zoning Board of Appeals filings and decisions;
- street lists, voter lists;
- Notary Public;
- historical & genealogical records;
- payment of Ch. 21D fines
Town Clerk: Deborah J. Merry
Assistant Town Clerk: Michele Blake
Location:Town Hall, 462 Main St.,Dalton, MA 01226
Phone: 413-684-6111 ext 14
Hours: M-W 8:00 am - 4:00 pm; Th 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
More information is available in the latest Annual Report, available under Publications.